Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I am such a friggin' girl.

Shout out to my girl Elyse, she-who-should-have-won Season One of America's Next Top Model. My sentiments, well, exactly:

"By the way, my countrymen, it's been eight months since I've been here, and I just love what you've done with the place! Chicken fries? "I'm N Luv (Wit a Stripper)"? Snakes on a Plane? Majestic! Our country is truly crunker than it has ever been. "

In other slightly related news, I am a really big girl, for better or worse. I was on my way out to Gresham to hang out with the Russians, with Amy, the caseworker. She drove me out so I could translate for her with a new family we were signing up for the kids outreach program. Poor chick is on crutches after a nasty bike accident a few weeks back. We're literally in sight of the exit off 86 I think, when she realizes the cars kinda making funny noises. We think nothing of it, 'till five minutes later it gets louder. I look out the window, and 'lo and behold, I glimpse pieces of car trailing after us back down the highway.

Me: "Um, I think you've got a flat tire or something"

Two more minutes pass, and the car starts weaving.

Me: "No, I'm sure you've got a big friggin' flat tire..."

So we pull off into the shoulder, I get out, and she inches past me. The tire is seriously shredded, like, it looks like it's been mauled by a small dinosaur. No sooner do we stand staring at each other scratching our heads, and I manage to get the bike rack off the back, the spare and the jack out of its little secret underground compartment, then a magical bearded stranger swoops down and rescues us. Two, in fact. This dude had the tire off and the spare on in, no joke, less than 10 minutes flat. I was AMAZED.

So to my mysterious bearded stranger I say this: LET ME CHANGE MY OWN DAMN TIRE, MKAY? I may look helpless and confused, but I promise you. ITS ALL A RUSE.

Dang it.

In other really less related news, I'm out of my lease on campus come September, and already daydreaming of Santiago, in all its dirty glory. OK, so daydreaming of Latin french brasilien guys who play gorgeously on their acoustic guitars and rock the Chuck Taylors. Oh me...

I'm wondering what my russian-czech-spanish hybrid will sound like...

No comments: