Friday, October 05, 2007

TGIF

"Time plays like an accordion in the way it can stretch out and compress itself in a thousand melodic ways. Months on end may pass blindingly in a quick series of chords, open--shut, together apart, and then a single melancholy week may seem like a year's pining, one fugue like detail, with perfect pitch, but as for the next few months...I remember only snatches of superficial times..."

"When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."

"All right you idiot, I scold myself...pull yourself together and live. 'Live:' a command I received explicitly some time ago and try to respect for all the privilege it gives me. Never mind that it often feels like a burden I'd rather stow in an attic with the rash luxury, the true luxury of saving it for some undetermined season in the future..."

~Julia Glass, "Three Junes"


Friday night and I am most definitely not holed up in the library. Most definitely definitely not attempting to write a lit paper on the uses and evidence of the Russian soul within Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. And for sure not attempting to do so while starving and watching the Bachelor on the ABC website.

God. The more things change the more they stay the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Friday night and I am most definitely not holed up in the library." Good for you! You need to let life guide you not feel pulled by obligation. Although that might just be today talking and the 85 degree sunny October afternoon that involved me fleeing the lab about 3 pm and running (okay taking the T) to the Boston Common for some green space and sun. And now I'm sitting at home drinking a bottle of red wine, eating dark chocolate and watching the red sox. Yay Boston. And I should probably just call you at some point, as opposed to just leaving long posts on your blog...