Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Wooooooooot.

Just finished totally disposing of my first "semester"exam here in rainy old cold Monterey. For once not freaking out and not studying at all close to adequately did not sneak back to bite me in the ass. All of the five some pages we were actually supposed to do analysis questions based on the texts, all answers in English. Well, I was bored, and pissed, so I answered them all in Russian. Farely well, if I might add in my humble oppinion. In my own words with my own version of the grammar, not totally just parrot-ing what was written in the actual reading portion.

Now homeward for some serious catch up after my weekend away. Like groceries. And library. And Blockbuster, praying I incorrectly infact remembered my due dates. No late fees my ass. Then sleep. 'Cause leaving San Jose this morning involved getting up at 6 and a minor car accident that may or may not have been my fault.

But hey man, I ran a 4.5 mile race for the 4th with the family in San Jose and totally owned. I was first girl in my age, and third among the guys. It was sweet after not running in like, a month and a half, and not racing in years. I owe all my success to that damn hill and my bicycle. Nothing beats smoking an Ex-Marine 20 some odd years your senior at his own game :-D

Lordy, lordy. Where did my summer go??

Addendum:
On this day a full two years ago I arrived home from the Czech Republic. Chybi mne tu stranu, chybi mne to zivot. Bylo skoda, co jsem si neuvedomila drive. No, ted'ka reknu Dekuju mockrat, diky za tvoreni mne, u za otvereni moje oci.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for 1 hug. now, can you please translate the czech?:)

Me, I'm holding out hope for a zombie attack said...

quien eres?

qui es?

kto ty?

gdo tje?

Anonymous said...

Peggy! Sorry, I was out of internet for a while, so I wasn't able to answer you very quickly, but the people who you want to get in touch with for getting speakers on campus are as follows:

If it's a speaker who will likely cost a bunch of money (say $1,000 or more) then I would suggest first going to any departments (like Foreign Languages, IA, or whatever ones are relevant) and getting them to either promise a small sum towards the honorarium fee (like $100 or more) and/or getting them to sign on to the speaker event as a sponsor. That will give you credibility and show to others that you are making an effort to make the financial burden less heavy.

You should also go to any relevant student groups that have budgets of more than say $3,000 a year (like ISLC, Activities Congress, or ASLC) and see if they'd be willing to chip in, as well as Residence Life (talk to Sachiko Vidourek, Jon Eldrige, and the new Ethnic Student Services person) and Robbie Fung if the event is tied to community-building, diversity, or broader social issues.

Once you've done that (which sounds like a lot but really isn't that bad), then you should go to GAB and/or SAAB with an application that I will help you fill out and hand in, seeing as you won't be here in the fall. GAB and SAAB will be able to provide some funds as well, as long as the speaker is good, and that should provide all that we need.

Most speakers don't cost so much that they require all that effort, but some do. What's nice to know is that many groups (ASLC, ISLC, BSU, etc.) would LOVE to have their name on a list of contributors to a successful speaker event, so it's not a tough sell to them.

Once you have the funds necessary to get the speaker on campus, it's only a matter of going to Sharon Stonecypher in Campus Events and booking the date and location. That part is really easy, and takes nearly no time, as long as you're not having food. If you want food at the event (for refreshments and whatnot) we'll deal with that later.

I hope that helps! E-mail me if you have any questions!
Ryan