Tuesday, September 13, 2005

In which I am vindicated

I was walking home from Smolny today, on Troutsky most jamming to whatever it was that came up on random play on the iPod. The song ended, and time stopped with it, I swear, everything except the wind and the whitecaps on the Neva. THe next song that started, automatically and completely unconsciously ofcourse, was the song from my dream. Its called "Five Hebrew Songs" performed by the Choral Project, and the string accompaniment is unbelievably haunting. It makes me wish I had any talent for composition, because I'd die to turn the orchestral backing into a symphony. I'd have it played at my wedding, and then again at my funeral.

But alas. I'm vindicated, ie not completely friggin' nuts.

This choir thing is officially the greatest thing ever. We worked some more on the Vivaldi, which is nice traditional classical literature, happy and basic if for no other reason then I can phonetically almost read latin. Today we spent about half the time on that, and then the rest on a bunch of traditional Russian folk music. The folk songs are...enchanting, for lack of a better word coming to mind. Sitting in the middle of it, I felt like I was on some plain off in Siberia frolicking through the woodlands or better yet, sitting in some anciet village spinning wool, or milking cows, or some such women's work. I dunno if it was the eight part harmony, or just the crazy cutglass clarity of all these girls' voices...again, just ethereally eery. I perhaps was told today that we have a concert in three weeks, but for now I'm going to plead selective incompetence, and not worry or even just attempt to process untill I'm told a second time. Horray for semi plausible idiocy.

Not to be the overdramatic freak of nature that I am, but song of the moment is so very definitly "Amen, omen" Ben Harper. I think I might just have to perpetually ban it to the list of music I can no longer listen to ever again withought horrible connotations (ie...lifehouse, half of my Dave collection, Change in my life Rockapella...um...all of Moulin Rouge). It came up unexpectedly this morning on the way to class, and I was literally chocking back tears in the marshytka. Some songs just hit you in that tender spot, saying exactly everything you've been trying to elucidate for days. And then the sheer revelation of having all your pent up emotions out there in plain English, exposed to the real world, is almost oo much to bear. And then every time after that the song brings you so clearly right back to those emotions, and you're right back there in that moment, reliving over and over all the thick throbbing passions. Maybe thats just me being musical and weird, but I definitly tie everything important to music, and right now that song is...exactly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how we both become enamoraded with certain songs. I always think that this is the song what will surely change my life, or atleast give me some enlightenment. For me right now it's "Has Anybody Seen my Mind?" by Michael Franti..it's so beautiful like he's really asking forthings to return to the way they once were. Besos, R

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love how I was totally unaware of the fact that you're in Russia. That's really kind of awesome.

So Fuzz, who went to my college back in the day, is being honored this weekend with an Alumni Award...so I get to see him. How random is that?

Hillary