Monday, December 08, 2008

Chinese Water Torture

It's finally Monday, and its raining again. I slept in the tee-pee last night with three of the girls as Callie was hardcore stomach sick all over the wall tent. Sleeping there though was like Chinese water torture--I spent a good part of the night trying to find a good way to lay between the drops. Its warmer though than it has been in a while. The scene at Cleo camp though matches the attitude and energy of the girls I'm sensing, sort of dreary and a bit abysmal. We had such a big expedition--physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually that I think its a bit of a let down for them to be back at base. Our last hike was 10 miles (not entirely inadvertently), I mean really. I struggle to do 8 with BT girls on Isle Royale, and even personally 10 miles is no stroll in the park.

The changes I've seen this shift have been pretty monumental. I know I say that often, but it seems like almost every shift out here something different and more ridiculously inconceivable happens to broaden my horizons to the true possibility of this work. Amy, herself, blew me away maybe moreso than any student I've yet worked with. I mean she went from walking out of camp, and almost being restrained and put on runwatch her first night with us to finishing her South pathway. She has developed into a strong force for good within the group. She takes leadership roles, role models positive behaviors, shares herself, and is starting to call out others on their shit. And it all sort of happened when I was looking the other way almost.

And then there was Erin, who rode this expedition it seems straight to rock bottom. I haven't yet seen the outdoors totally break a person down before her this week. The wilderness did our job so much better than we did on that regard for her. I mean--the girl pooped her pants and still wont admit it after hiking for almost 2 more days. I hope she cant get much further down than that, for her sake. But since screaming and crying and cursing her way hysterically through the last night of hiking I've seen a spark in her for the very first time since I've known her. You can see enthusiasm and excitement and even the tiniest bit of nascent positivity if you look really hard. And even a small amount of internal motivation.

I am personally excited to be back here ( I hope) next shift for the Christmas double and to see where another two weeks out here leaves these ladies. I've observed so well how long two weeks can really be.

No comments: