Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ghosts

I can't get over how weird it is to be seeing my own footprints in the sand. I'm off this morning, sitting into the wind and remembering all the ghosts of students gone before at this site. And remembering me before at this site, which is almost as weird. I'm leading that same hike down to Little Easy in a bit, which was my first hike I lead on my first expedition in October. The one where I fell of the end of the point, and where we ended up in that sweet side canyon that looked like Seaworld. So bizzare.

I'm trying to check in with myself and not getting very far. My body is cold, particularly my big toes. My face is still tingling from the GABA. My mouth tastes like paper from all the snot dripping down my throat. The tops of the insides of my thighs feel raw. My quadriceps are tight and a little sore. I'm hungry. My mind is moving slowly and also quite quickly. My mind is moving slowly but my heart is apprehensive about leading this hike again, and trying to tell my mind to move quickly. My heart is also feeling excited to be getting to know new people, and to see three students transition today. And curious to watch how the girls continue to develop and work with each other and a new student through the rest of the week. My soul is feeling a lot of gratitude for this beautiful place in which we find ourselves, looking out over the canyons and mesas and mountains still snow-capped.

Breakfast time. Man I need to meditate. Or take a nap. But probably meditate...

No comments: